Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Monday, December 3, 2007

How to Dissipate Pulpit Fears

One major fear most have of standing in a pulpit is somehow messing up and looking foolish in front of a crowd of people. I have used a strategy for years that can help with such fears. If something goes wrong, I simply say, “Turn to Exodus 20:11, put your finger in there and then turn over to 1 Timothy 1:9.” That gives me at least 30 seconds to pull my thoughts together or to find my place in my notes. Then I say, “I have no idea what those verses are. I just wanted to give you something to do while I found my place in my notes.” That makes people laugh and at the same time relieves any tension in the air. Just knowing that you have that option can help you conquer your fears.