Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Be Ready

The Scriptures say, “But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asks you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear.” I have thought that I was “ready always” to give an answer, but the other day I found that I wasn’t.

I was riding my bike to work when I saw a gentleman walking on the sidewalk. As I rode passed him I grabbed a Ten Commandments coin, offered it to him and said, “Did you get one of these?” He grabbed it from my hand and said, “Hey! Thank you very much!” He didn’t know what it was, but he was so enthusiastic I immediately wished I had stopped and engaged him in a conversation about the things of God. All the way to work I was kicking myself for not stopping, and I spent some time thinking about the incident. I came to the conclusion that I wasn’t “ready always.” I had a subconscious mentality of “hit and run.” I needed a predetermined determination to engage in a conversation, before I encountered anyone.

A few days later I was riding to work when I saw a teenager on a skateboard heading for me. Suddenly, he slipped and sent the skateboard flying onto a busy road. He quickly ran out and retrieved it, and jumped back onto the sidewalk. I said a friendly, “That was close!” and followed with “Here’s a million dollars for you.” He smiled. Then I said, “It’s a gospel tract. What do you think happens after someone dies? Do you think there’s a Heaven?” There was no offense on his part. He said, “I’m not sure.” “Do you think there’s a Hell?” “Definitely.” That reply was interesting. So we went through the Commandments, opening up their spiritual nature.

It turned out that he had lied, stolen, lusted and blasphemed God’s name. He became rather sober, and it concerned him that because of his sins, he was heading for Hell. I then shared the good news that God paid his fine in Christ, rose from the dead, and upon his repentance and faith in Jesus, God would grant him everlasting life. We shook hands. He went on his way, and I went on mine.

So if you are a chicken like me and you fight inner fears, do yourself a big favor. Deal with your fears in the prayer closet, and predetermine to be ready. Always.