Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Monday, June 16, 2008

No Real Reason

It was a hot Southern California Sunday afternoon. Sue had gone down to the ministry, and I had the choice of staying at home and vegetating in front of the TV, or of going to the ministry on my bike, for no real reason. I jumped onto my bike and a few minutes later I noticed a cigar-smoking teenager carrying a bottle of coke. I rode alongside him and asked, "Did you get your million dollar bill?" He hadn't got his, and was delighted when he saw our new million dollar bill tract. I said,

"It's a gospel tract. Where do you think you will go when you die?"
"Heaven, I hope."
"What's your name?"
"Mike."
"Are you a good person Mike?"
"Yes. I try to be."
"Well let's see if you will make it to Heaven. How many lies do you think you've told in your life?"
"A bunch."
"What do you call someone who tells lies?"
"A liar."
"How many things do you think you've stolen?"
"Lot's."
"What do you call someone who steals things?"
"A thief."
"Have you ever used God's name in vain?"
"Yes, I have."
"God gave you eyes to see His wonderful creation, ears to enjoy good music, taste buds to enjoy good food; He gave you your life, and you used His name as a cuss word. That's really serious. It's called blasphemy."
"I know. What religion are you?"
"Christian."
"I'm a Christian. I'm Greek orthodox. Egyptian."
"One to go Mike. Jesus said, 'Whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has committed adultery already with her in his heart.' Have you ever done that?"
"All the time."
"When did you last do that?"
"Just before."
"So, Mike, by your own admission, you are a lying, thieving, blasphemous, adulterer-at-heart, and you have to face God on Judgment Day. If He judges you by the Ten Commandments, will you be innocent or guilty?" Without hesitation he said he would be guilty--that he would end up in Hell, and that seriously concerned him. When I asked him if he knew what God did to save us from Hell, he said that "He sacrificed Himself." I said, "Let me tell you what that means. It was a legal transaction. You broke God's Law (the Ten Commandments, and Jesus paid your fine in His life's blood. That means God can legally dismiss your case. He can forgive your sins and grant you everlasting life. Now, in response to His death and resurrection, you must repent (turn from all sin--that means no more lying, stealing, blasphemy, and even lust. God will help you with that), and trust in Jesus Christ."

He had a Bible at home, said he was going to get back into it (he hadn't read it for years), and think seriously about his eternity. We talked for a minute about smoking and how horrific it would be to die of emphysema, and I rode on.

A few seconds later I saw a woman hosing her lawn. As I rode passed I said, "Hello." She warmly responded so I stopped my bike, reached into my pocket and said, "I have a million dollars for you." She was delighted, took it and said, "This is nice. Can I have one more?" I handed her a second million. Then she said, "One more for my friend?" I gave her a third, rode off and said, "Make sure you read the message on the back. It's real important." She said, "I will."

Somehow I felt a new energy as I rode on. The ride to work hadn't been for no real reason.

(The new Million Dollar Bill is available at www.livingwaters.com)