Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

George and Jesus

"Ray said 'The truth is that no one knows the identity of the first President.' There's an idea for a billboard: 'Ray Comfort: Faith in Jesus; Skeptical of George Washington.'" Chris B.

This reveals the misunderstanding that atheists have about the word "faith" (as in an intellectual belief), and the word "trust" (as in a reliance on a person).

My faith in Jesus has nothing to do with an intellectual belief, because it’s not in His historical existence. It’s rather a trust that I have in Him for my eternal salvation. Faith in the fact that Jesus lived historically will do nothing for you. Trust in Him as Lord and Savior will give you everlasting life.

Kellan Stec added her reasons for believing that George Washington existed:

"I don't just believe what history books tell me for no reason. I have very good reasons. One of them being that most of the evidence for George Washington . . . We know where he is buried and we could go dig up his remains if we wanted to and were able to. Jesus has none of this evidence. Not even close."

And that’s the point. You can dig up the remains of the person who was believed to be George Washington, but you will never dig up the remains of Jesus of Nazareth. He didn’t have any remains. Death had no hold over Him because He was without sin.

But how can you move out of the realm of intellectual belief that He existed, and into the experiential trust that comes from knowing Him? I will let Jesus answer that one Himself:

"He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him" (John 14:21).