Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

"I Don't Believe in Deities."

"I'm called an 'atheist' because I have no beliefs in deities. I also don't believe in what you call 'creation'. i.e. a 'deity' made everything from nothing. I don’t even believe that there was such a thing as 'creation'. That is not to say I discount it as a possibility, I just don't believe it. I don't believe in a 'first cause' as there is nothing I can observe in nature that is remotely analogous. I don't believe there was ever literally 'nothing'."

I realize that you are not saying that you don't believe that there are "deities"--gods that belong to different religions. You are rather saying that you don’t believe that those "gods" are a reality. They are false gods. In that we agree. They are merely wood, or stone, or only exist in the imaginations of these who bow down to them.

You contend that we don't live in "creation," obviously because that has strong connotations that there was a Creator. I can understand why you do that. You also say that you don’t believe in a "first cause" because you can’t see anything in nature that would remotely suggest that there was one.

May I suggest to you that this is because you don’t believe there is a creation. If I say I don’t believe there is a building, it is going to logically follow that I don’t believe that there was a builder. I can understand your logic in that. But then you say "I don't believe there was ever literally 'nothing.'" So you therefore must believe that there was literally something. What was that "something," and how did it get here? No doubt your answer will be "We don’t know. . . but we are working on it."

I am consoled that I don’t have to argue with such illogical beliefs. I know that every sane person knows that God exists, and that they deny His existence because of His moral government. They don’t want God telling them what to do, because they love their sins. How do I know this? Because the Bible (the Manual that tells us the inner-workings of human nature) tells me so.

My agenda as a Christian, is simply to warn you that (even though you said five times that you "don't believe") you will stand before a holy God who has seen every sin you have ever committed. On Judgment Day He will give you exactly what you deserve--and Hell is a fearful place. I don’t want you to go there, and as long as there is breath in my lungs I will plead with you and every unsaved person on this earth to repent and trust Jesus Christ:

"Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God" (Hebrews 3:12).

Pic. One of the many Hindu gods