Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"I sincerely hope that nothing of the sort ever happens to your wife Ray [rape], or anyone else close to you, but since we're speaking hypothetically...If it did, how would you explain why the Christian God caused it to happen? A test of your faith? A test of your character? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on this." Culberto

Thank you for your kind sentiments. However, if my wife did get raped, I would never say that God “caused” it to happen. That’s the way an atheist talks. Like insurance companies, they tend to blame God for everything bad and refuse praise for anything good.

It would be the rapist that raped my wife, not God, however, He allowed it. He permits the storms and the pains of life to come to those that love Him, for a reason. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that we don’t get wet when it rains. It even means that if we are in a storm, we are just as likely to get struck by lightning as any other person.

So there are two "wills" of God for the Christian--the permissive and the perfect will of God. If something terrible happens to me or my family--a rape or even a death, I have God’s promise that He allowed it (His permissive will) to fulfill His eternal purposes for my life, and that will always work out for my good (see Romans 8:28). That gives me great comfort.