Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, April 30, 2010

"Faith is believing what you know ain't so." Mark Twain

"Ray Comfort blurted: 'My apologies for my poor English. I'm originally from New Zealand (a British colony) and over the last 21 years of living in the United States I have had to change much of my English to fit American English. I do, however, have an excellent American editor who kindly weeds English English out of my books...but not my blog. I will try and keep your vexations in mind, in future.' Too bad you don't have a fact checker either....Could keep that footy goodness taste out of your mouth you get so often...." J Diver

Let me blurt out a little more. Who is to say that I am incorrectly expressing myself if I say, "I have been an American citizen for years and yet I ain’t speaking American English"?

My English teacher abhorred the popular American use of the word "ain’t." Yet the word originated in England. It goes way back to 1706 when it was popularized by colorful characters in the writings of Charles Dickens, etc., which led to it being eventually banished from correct English. But not in the United States.

That isn’t the only word that is annoying to some. Try counting the times you hear Americans say the word "like" (and then mention it to them), and you will probably end up friendless. I once quietly counted someone say it 82 times in ten minutes.

The problem is that language evolves. Not only that, but your "fact checker" evolves also, especially with the subject of evolution. What evolutionary believers thought were facts 100 years ago weren’t facts at all. They were incorrect assessments, and what you believe are scientific facts today, will be laughed at in 100 years time.

The evolutionary believer has built his faith on shifting sand--perfectly described by Mark Twain's "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." It isn't so because there's no fact-checker.

The Christian’s faith, however, is in an immovable Rock--Jesus Christ. We trust a Person, not a belief. Plus, we know what’s right and we know what’s wrong, because we have the fact-checker of the Scriptures to tell us.

So dude, we ain’t the ones like running around with a foot in the mouth when it comes to facts. It’s like evolutionary believers. Like totally.