Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, May 21, 2010

Chocolate and Atheists

"I believe (with 100% conviction) that the moment an atheist dies he (of she) will cry "Oh no! There is a God, ..." And I believe that if I eat chocolate I won't gain weight. It's just frustrating that I can't convince my bathroom scale to agree with me." Weemaryanne

There one big difference between my conviction, and you chatting with your bathroom scales. Mine is based on trust, yours is based on fantasy.

However, the analogy does hold up when you realize that it is impossible to reason with bathroom scales. The scales don’t have a brain. It doesn't matter how much you plead with them, they will turn a deaf ear, and you will continue in your frustration.

Such is the case with you and other atheists on this blog. You cannot be reasoned with. But my consolation is that others here are seeing your mockery, and realizing how foolish it is to toy with your eternal destiny.

Speaking of chocolate and scales. You and I have been "weighed in the balance" of God’s Law and "found wanting." How many of us are guiltless when it comes to lying, stealing, coveting other people’s things, lust--which is adultery of the heart (see Matthew 5:27-28), blasphemy, and of the sin of ingratitude?

So why would anyone want to give up what the Bible calls "the pleasures of sin"?

Imagine that your doctor said, "You are allergic to chocolate. Even a small piece will instantly (and with much pain) kill you." If you believed him, you would immediately deny yourself its pleasure. If you didn’t trust your doctor or didn't care about your life, you would indulge and suffer the consequence.

And there is the essence of your problem with God. You lack the virtue of trust in Him, and you don’t love life. Prove me wrong.