Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, October 8, 2010

Talking to Yourself . . .

"Sometimes I ask myself... Who Would Jesus Mock?" Lurker

Stop asking yourself the question, and instead read your Bible, and you will see that Jesus mocked the religious leaders and others--calling them all sort of bad names--snakes, dogs, hypocrites, blind guides, and even camel-swallowers and gnat-strainers. I'm sure He would call you a fool because of your professed atheism (oh...He already did--see Psalm 14:1). Look at how God mocks rebellious sinners:

"Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you. Because I have called and you refused, I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded, because you disdained all my counsel, and would have none of my rebuke, I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your terror comes, when your terror comes like a storm, and your destruction comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you" (Proverbs 1:23-27).

The problem is that you have this strange but common view of Jesus--as though He was some sort of pale-faced and weak pacifist, who turned the other cheek because He didn’t have the strength of character to fight back. But the principle of "turn the cheek" is, you go ahead and hit me if you wish and I won’t hit you back--God will, if He sees fit to do so.

This is what the Bible says of Jesus and why He didn’t fight back:

"Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth; Who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously..."(1 Peter 2:22-23).

The first time Jesus came, He came as the sacrificial Lamb of God, meek and lowly, to suffer for the sin of the world. The second time He comes, He will come as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, to bring Justice to a wicked world:

"This same Jesus is when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed" (2 Thessalonians 7:10).

So make sure you trust in His mercy, through repentance and faith in Him, or you will come until His terrible wrath:

"He who believes in the Son of God has the witness in himself; he who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life" (1 John 5:10-12).