Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, February 15, 2008

Common Courtesy

Have you ever had the experience of showing someone "road-courtesy" and they don’t bother to acknowledge it? I have to admit, that those who don't show appreciation make me mad. I immediately wish I hadn’t bothered to be nice. However, if I pull back my car to let someone get into the stream of traffic, and they give a small wave or a nod of appreciation, it makes me feel good. I don't think many of us like ingratitude. We feel upset if we give a child a piece of candy, and he snatches it, stuffs it into his mouth and runs off without so much as a “Thank you.”

But that was me for 22 years. I was an ungrateful brat, who never once thanked God for His incredible kindness. I never showed an ounce of gratitude for having eyes to see this incredible creation. I never thanked Him for ears to enjoy good music, or taste buds to enjoy good food. Not once did I ever humbly bow my head before a meal and thank God for my food. Ingratitude is a horrible sin.

Then again, gratitude without obedience to God is nothing but empty hypocrisy. True appreciation for His goodness will also bow to His will. Those who don't do God's will lose their most precious possession. If death seizes them while they are still in their sins, they will never again see God's gift of light, of color, beauty, love and laughter. They will never again hear a kind word, or feel the warmth of human comfort. They weren't thankful, so they will be damned from all of God’s goodness. Forever. Imagine that--never seeing beauty ever again. Never hearing laughter ever again. Never satisfying the craving of unspeakable thirst. Ever. All because sin.