Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Atheist Question

"The Bible itself is presumed to be the word of God written down by inspired men simply because the men said they were inspired? Or is there something else? Also, if the entire Bible, OT and NT, are to be the inerrant word, how are differences between the OT and NT reconciled. I'm thinking of the largely negative (by today's standards) ideas such as stoning for various offenses in the OT as compared with the largely positive message in the NT. What am I missing? I have many more questions, but I think this is a good start." Anish

You have asked only two of a thousand questions you could ask about the Bible. However, its claim is summed up in that humanity has violated the Law of a holy God. He sees lust as adultery, and hatred as murder. Lying lips are an abomination to Him. Death and then damnation in Hell are our just (right) punishment for our crimes against Him. But God is rich in mercy and has paid the fine for the Law we violated through the suffering death of the Savior. Upon our repentance and faith alone in Jesus, God justifies us (makes us right with Him) and dismisses our case. He commutes our death sentence and lets us live--He freely gives us the gift of everlasting life. That’s the Gospel, and if it’s true, then it is the most incredible news that humanity could ever hope to hear.

If I picked up an instruction book that claimed to be for a certain appliance, how can I best prove what it says? It is to test its claims. The book says to plug the appliance in. I do that. It says to program it by flicking the left switch upwards. That will make a green light flash. It does. Now the right switch that will make a red light flash. That happens too. It tells me to push the middle button three times and that will give me a picture. The picture comes on. It then tells me how to adjust the picture. I follow another 12 specific instructions from the book and watch the appliance do everything the book said it would. Logic tells me that this instruction book is the right book for that appliance. Any other conclusion would be lunacy.

This is the claim of the Instruction Book: "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest [reveal] Myself to him" (John 14:21). Either that’s true, or it isn’t. You say you are sincere in seeking the truth. Then do what the Book says. Simply get on your knees, confess and forsake your beloved sins, and trust in Jesus for your eternal salvation. The light will come on. You will come to know God, you will pass from death to life, and you will pass from darkness to light. And then you will have a lot more questions. But they will be asked in humble awe.