Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Sympathizing With Mark Twain

It was the wit of Mark Twain that once remarked, "It ain't the parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand."

That was my exact reaction way back in 1972, when I first read: “But I say unto you, That whosoever looks on a woman to lust after her has committed adultery with her already in his heart” (Matthew 5:28).

I hope that Mr. Twain (who believed in God) found a place of repentance towards the God he had offended (see Psalm 51:4), and faith in Jesus, before he passed into eternity.

For those of you atheists that said that you believe he went to Hell--don't be so sure. Men often soften their hearts towards God as they become older and wiser. He said, "No man that has ever lived has done a thing to please God--primarily. It was done to please himself, then God next." -- Mark Twain, a Biography