Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, January 22, 2010

An atheist reads the Bible...

"I have been an atheist for most of my life, but have recently started reading the Bible. . . So far, I have read about some very interesting ways of killing people (jawbone of a donkey, driving tent pegs through a persons skull, invading a city where all the men are recovering from recent circumcision, running swords through a person until their fat closes around the sword, etc.). . . . I will admit, there is some good moral advice to be found. Don't sell your daughter into prostitution, for example -- I'm not sure I would have thought of that one on my own. If the Bible really were the source of our morality, I would be very scared for the future of humanity."

What would you think of the mentality of someone who said, "I’ve been reading about the history of the United States lately. I have learned that we should kill the native people of a land, kidnap people from other lands and enslave them, kill each other through civil war, assassinate our leaders, and then murder our children through abortion. Then I picked up a book about the history of France, and learned from that book that we should chop off the heads of the rich."

The Bible is an historical account of the nation of Israel. It not only exposes the evil deeds of humanity, but it warns that every wicked deed will get ultimate justice. Only a dim-witted person or someone with deep-rooted presuppositions would read the accounts as admonitions to the reader.

If you are searching for God’s moral requirements, go to Exodus 20 and then read Matthew chapter 5 through to chapter 7.

There you will find out how high God’s standards are and how far you and I fall short of them. Hopefully, that will bring you to the cross where you can find the mercy of God--His gift of everlasting life, and escape the terrible damnation of Hell.