Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Could You Change Your Mind?

"If I witnessed a miracle, or was party to a supernatural event that defied rational explanation (i.e water into wine, a bush burning that was never consumed, etc.) I am intellectually honest enough to say that I am wrong and reconsider my worldview. Can you say likewise? Are you honest enough to say that something could change your mind? Or are you utterly blinded by your faith?" T

We have a problem that you don’t seem to be able to understand. A Christian is someone who knows God (see John 17:3). They don’t know about Him; they know Him. What you are asking is an impossibility. It’s like me saying, "You say that you are married. Are you open to saying that your wife doesn’t exist? I am intellectually honest enough to admit that you have a wife, so are you honest enough to change your mind about her?"

Let's say you were drinking water and I, to your amazement, turned it into wine. You are immediately convinced intellectually that God exists, and you surrender your life to Jesus Christ.

Things go well for a while, until you find out how I did the "miracle." I fooled you into believing. So you fall away, because your intellectual faith rested upon my so-called miracle.

However, if you came to know God, nothing will talk you out of your faith, because you weren't talked into it. This is what the Apostle Paul was saying when he told his hearers that he completely trusted in the power of God to convert them, not upon anything to do with his intellectual arguing. He deliberately didn't use "man's wisdom":

"And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God" (1 Corinthians 2:4-5).