Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I Couldn't Care Less

As I looked at the sad picture of a well-known atheist who was dying of cancer, I couldn’t help but admire his humility. He didn’t mind his photo being taken when he didn’t look his best. But as I thought about it, it wasn’t this man’s image to ever look his best. He always did seem to have the physical appearance of "I couldn’t care less about what anyone thinks of me."

It reminded me of a friend who would spend a long time in front of the mirror each day, making sure he looked a mess. His humble "I don’t care what people think about me" image, was rooted in an inflated ego.

I suspected that the same was the case with this high-profile atheist. He warned that if rumor got out that he had converted to Christianity on his deathbed, no one should believe it. His words revealed that he was a very proud man.

There is a very bad side to pride. The proud man would rather destroy his marriage through divorce, than humble himself and seek reconciliation. That is the sort of proud person that God resists. The Bible even says that everyone who is proud of heart is an "abomination" to him (see Proverbs 16:5).

This poor dying atheist had such an inflated ego that he considered himself to be a valuable trophy for theists. In truth, he was just another guilty sinner among billions. If he would rather keep his pride and go to Hell than humble himself to go to Heaven, that’s his terrible choice. Such is the way of the proud.