Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Welcome to the Atheist Church

"And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed are you poor: for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you that hunger now: for you shall be filled. Blessed are you that weep now: for you shall laugh. Blessed are you, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. Rejoice you in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets" ( Luke 5: 20-23).

There are people we call themselves "Christians,' and they aren’t hated because they belong to Jesus Christ. They are hated because they are condescending, or self-righteous, or because they are simply hateful. But when Jesus spoke of those who are highly favored by God ("blessed"), He was speaking of those who love Him, and therefore live for Him. They are the ones who will be hated by this world, because they refuse to live like the world. Their lives of holiness (separation from the pleasures of sin) is an offense to them.

Every genuine Christian is a "light" that Jesus said "cannot be hid." Light exposes. It reveals moral guilt. Before I was converted I loved the darkness and hated the light. Anything to do with God, and especially the name of Jesus Christ, made me feel uncomfortable to a point of giving me the creeps. But on April 25th, 1972, I moved out of the darkness into the light. I became a partaker "of the inheritance of the saints in the light." God delivered me "from the power of darkness" and conveyed me "into the kingdom of the Son of His love..." (see Colossians 1:12-14).

So whenever I speak to a non-Christian about the things of God, I know that he or she is going to feel uncomfortable. I know that it will give them the creeps and that I may be hated for what I say, especially when I use the light of God’s Law. It is the moral Law that exposes our sinful heart and reveals what we are in truth--liars, thieves, blasphemers, lust-filled adulterers, etc., and stirs the conscience: "And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed" (John 3:19-20, NKJV).