Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Do Not Like Your Christians

A skeptic quoted the famous words of Mahatma Ghandi, when he said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." The cynic no doubt did this to illustrate that all Christians are nothing but hypocrites, and that’s why he rejects the gospel. However, a close look at what Ghandi said reveals two interesting things.

First, no one is like Jesus Christ. He was sinless. If you think you can be like Him, try living like Him for one day. For one day fulfill the moral Law by loving God with all of your heart, mind, soul and strength, and love your neighbor as much as you love yourself. That means you will not lust, hate, lie, steal, think a selfish thought or say an idle word. You will be perfect, in thought, word and in deed. On top of that, you will walk in perfect humility of heart. If you think Ghandi did that, read on.

Second, the Bible doesn’t tell us to place our trust in sinful man. In fact, it says not to (see Psalm 146:3). It instead commands that we repent and trust alone in Jesus Christ. This was something it seems Ghandi failed to do. So his liking of Jesus wasn’t deep enough for him to believe what He said. Jesus warned that if we die in our sins, we will end up in Hell. What a tragedy that Ghandi didn’t find any help in his own hopeless religion. He lamented, "It is constant torture to me that I am still so far from God whom I know to be my very life and being. I know it is my own wretchedness and wickedness that keeps me from him."