Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Letter From an Atheist

Way back in the 1990’s an atheist sent me a sobering email. In it, he said,

"If you’re right about God, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing. If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That’s equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing . . . Imagine the horrors hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You’re just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you’re right, then you’re an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

Listen to his words. He said, "If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness." I wrote back and told him that that is what I have been doing for more than 35 years. Thousands of times I had stood up on a soapbox and made myself a fool to plead with the ungodly. I literally do run around the streets mad with rage at their blindness, and whenever I find myself being selfish and not caring for their terrible fate, I feel ashamed. And I know that I’m not alone. There are millions of Christians who are as horrified as I am, and live to reach the lost.

May God raise up more who can’t sleep at night, who can’t live for themselves, who are horrified to a point of running the streets warning the wicked that God means what He says about Hell, and that He has provided way of escape through the blood of the cross.

Charles Spurgeon said, "If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and un-prayed for."