Hover over Romans 1:20-22 for proof of God's existence, and over Matthew 5:27-28 for Judgment Day’s perfect standard. Then hover over John 3:16-18 for what God did, and over Acts 17:30-31 for what to do.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Forever Thankful

"I've asked this several times and never received an answer. What is the name of the person who brought you to Christ? Who convinced you to trust in Jesus? You never have answered me. Why is that?" (Liz)

The name of the person who led me to Christ was Graham Reid. He was a New Zealand surfing buddy, in a group of five or six close friends. I befriended him when I was newly married, and decided to go on a two-day surfing trip (in April of 1972) with the group. I didn’t know that Graham was a Christian. All I knew was that he was a nice guy who didn’t cuss, and had a Bible in his car.

During the first night of the trip, I read Matthew 5:27-28 and realized that I had sinned against God. Later that night Graham shared the good news of the gospel with me--that Jesus suffered in my place, to save me from my sin and the reality of Hell. At 1:30 a.m. I was born again, and came to know God.

The rest of that weekend he kept repeating the words, "Ray Comfort a Christian. I don’t believe it. I don’t believe it!" The reason for his being astounded was that he knew that I was incredibly happy. I was 22 years-old with my own prospering business, my own home, a lovely wife, and the freedom to slap "Gone surfing" on the door of my surf shop, whenever I felt like it. What more could I want? But he didn’t know that I was desperately seeking truth. I didn’t know why I was alive. I could see that the whole of humanity is marking-time until death swallowed us. Life didn’t make sense.

One night I wept as I looked at my beautiful wife and realized that death could take her in a heartbeat. With tears streaming down my cheeks, I cried "Why! Why?" I didn’t think that anyone heard me that dark night, but I was heard, and my cry was answered six months later when I fell at the Savior’s feet.

I will be forever thankful for the night that my faithful friend took the time to share the gospel with me:

"I sought the Lord and He heard me and delivered me from all of my fears" (Psalm 34:4).

Pic. Taken by Graham Reid on the night of my conversion (April 25th, 1972). I am second from the left.